Establish and Configure a PayPal Merchant Account
We are currently recommending that customers DO NOT GO WITH PayPal. They are having technical issues boarding customers that they are currently unable
to resolve. This has resulted in our customers being approved but unable to process transactions. Unfortunately this started in October 2018 and has yet to be resolved.
Setting up a PayPal account is a little convoluted but if you follow the instructions below and print out our PayPal
Set-up Checklist you shouldn't have any problems.
Using PayPal for your credit card processing within Silent Auction Pro requires that you create/maintain three sets of login credentials. You will need:
To receive the PayPal non-profit rate you must complete the PayPal application at
https://www.paypal.com/charities. The discounted
rate will go into effect AFTER you have been approved which takes approximately 48 hours.
To establish a merchant account with PayPal
We have a dedicated inside sales representative at PayPal who will help you through the process on PayPal's side. Please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure you put "Silent Auction Pro - Account Set Up" in the subject line.
PayPal will get back to you within 24 hours and will guide you through the set up process.
- A PayPal Payments Pro account/login credentials. NOTE: If you already have a basic PayPal account, you can request to have your account upgraded to PayPal Payments Pro.
- A PayPal Manager (Payflow) account/login credentials which designates you as the administrator of your PayPal Payments Pro account, giving you the ability to add "Users" (i.e. Silent Auction Pro).
- A PayPal User account/login credentials which names Silent Auction Pro as a User on your PayPal account - creating the link for payment transactions on the PayPal side.
Step One: Create PayPal Payments Pro Account
Our PayPal integration requires that you have a PayPal Payments Pro account. Follow the directions below to establish a PayPal Payments Pro account, or upgrade a
basic PayPal account.
- Please send an email to email@example.com. Make sure you put
"Silent Auction Pro - Account Set Up" in the subject line. PayPal will get back to you within 24 hours and will guide you through the set up process.
- If you already have a PayPal account, it will need to be upgraded to a PayPal Payments Pro account. Our PayPal representative will help you upgrade your account.
- If you already have a PayPal Payments Pro account, skip to Step Three to add Silent Auction Pro website as a User in your Payflow/Manager account.
You will be running transactions through Silent Auction Pro so you do not need PayPal's Virtual Terminal for Silent Auction Pro transactions.
Account approval will take approximately 48 hours.
- Confirm with your PayPal representative that you are a Silent Auction Pro customer and that your monthly PayPal fees are to be waived.
- Follow prompts given to you by PayPal representative. Create your PayPal Payments Pro username (email address) and password. Record your
credentials on Step 1 of the PayPal Set-up Checklist
- The PayPal Payments Pro login credentials give you access to your general account information, including linked bank accounts.
- Remind the PayPal representative that you need Reference Transactions turned ON. (Reference Transactions provides the ability to store a
credit card in Silent Auction Pro and charge it later.)
- Provide the TIN (Tax Identification Number) for your organization. If your organization does not have a TIN, select "Individual" or "Sole Proprietor" as the Ownership Type.
- Provide a credit card on file. This is required by PayPal, but as a Silent Auction Pro customer, your monthly fees are waived and your
card will NOT be charged.
When entering Card Holder information, do NOT include any Middle Initials or punctuation. Avoid punctuation in the address field as well (for example "St." or "Blvd.")
in order to avoid processing errors.
- You will receive notification via email within 24 to 48 hours (or sooner) that your PayPal Payments Pro account has been approved. To complete set up follow the PayPal instructions to verfiy your email address.
Step Two: Create and Configure your PayPal Manager/Payflow Account
Once you receive notification from PayPal that your PayPal Payments Pro account has been approved you can set up the PayPal manager accounts.
To set up your PayPal Manager accounts.
- Create Payflow (aka Manager Login) credentials on the Registration page. Payflow credentials should be different than your PayPal Payments Pro credentials, created in Step One.
Record your Payflow/Manager credentials on Step 2 of the PayPal Set-up Checklist
These credentials give you admin access to your PayPal activity, as well as the ability to designate Silent Auction Pro as a "user" on your account.
Step Three: Add Silent Auction Pro User Account
In order to process credit cards directly from the Silent Auction Pro website, you need to establish Silent Auction Pro as a valid User in your PayPal Manager/Payflow account.
You will receive an email in 48 hours, approving your Reference Transactions, providing the ability for you to store and charge credit cards in Silent Auction Pro.
- While logged in to your Manager/Payflow account on the manager.paypal.com webiste registration page, select Account Administration tab.
- Select Add User under the Manage Users heading.
- Enter your Manager/Payflow password (found on Step 2 of your PayPal Set-up Checklist).
- Enter Silent Auction Pro in Contact Name field.
- Enter your email address (the same one you used to create the Manager account) in the Email field.
- Enter SAProWebsite in User Login Name field.
- Enter a valid password and confirm it in the User Password and Confirm User Password fields.
Be sure to record these user credentials on Step 3 of the PayPal Set-up Checklist for future use. You will need them to complete the configuration on the Silent Auction Pro website.
- Choose API_FULL_TRANSACTIONS from the Select a Predefined Role drop-down box.
- Choose Active from User Status drop-down box.
- Enter the security graphic as shown and click the
in the blue menu bar at the top of the page.
- Select the Set Up tab under the Hosted Checkout Pages heading.
- Select Live from the Transaction Process Mode drop-down box under the Choose Your Settings heading near the top of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to the Security Options heading.
- Select No for both AVS and CSC drop-down boxes.
- Select Yes in the Enable Secure Token drop-down box.
- Click the
- Navigate to Allow Reference Transactions to Yes.
(This enables the ability to store a credit card and run a transaction against it later - you should have also told PayPal to enable Reference Transactions when you set up your PayPal Payments Pro account.)
Step Four: Connect PayPal to your bank account
Now that you have established your PayPal Payments Pro account, created your Manager account and created your Silent Auction Pro user account in PayPal, the next step is to complete linking your PayPal Payments Pro account to a bank account. The bank account you link will be the account that receives the deposits from the credit card transactions you process in Silent Auction Pro.
Connecting your PayPal account to your bank account
Once Reference Transactions are ON and your bank account is linked, you may configure your PayPal account in Silent
Auction Pro. If you have forgotten your credentials or have other PayPal Pro issues after being helped by the sales team, please call PayPal's
general support number: 888/215-5506.
- Log in to your PayPal account (not the PayPal Manager account) at www.paypal.com. Login credentials can be found on Step 1 of the PayPal Set-Up Checklist.
- Click the
- Under the Bank heading, click the button.
- Select your bank from the list of banks presented or choose the I have a different bank link.
- Follow the prompts to complete the set up process.
Step Five: Configuring your PayPal Payments Pro Merchant Account in Silent Auction Pro
Locate your PayPal Manager and User account credentials
Find your PayPal Set-up Checklist. You will need the PayPal Manager and User credentials recorded in Steps 2 and 3 on your Checklist to complete your PayPal configuration in Silent Auction Pro.
- The merchant login: This is the Manager/Admin username you created for the www.manager.paypal.com page. (See Step 2 on the PayPal Set Up Checklist)
- The username: This is the username for the Silent Auction Pro website user you created in Step 3 of Establishing a Merchant Account. (See Step 3 on your PayPal Set Up Checklist)
- The password: This is the password for the Silent Auction Pro website user that you created in Step 3 of Establishing a Merchant Account. (See Step 3 on your PayPal Set Up Checklist)
Configure your PayPal merchant account with Silent Auction Pro
- Login to Silent Auction Pro.
- Mouse over the
menu item and click .
- Select PayPal from the Processor drop-down list.
- Enter your PayPal merchant login, username and password you created while establishing the PayPal merchant account (see above).
- Click the
button to activate the account.
Silent Auction Pro will validate the communication to PayPal and run test transactions to verify the differnt card types that are supported. This process may take a
minute or two.
If validation of the connection and account settings is successful, the Silent Auction Pro software will report that it can now communicate with your PayPal account.
Step Six: The final step is to process a $1 test transaction using a valid credit card
To store a credit card and run a test transaction
- Go to the AuctionDay page and search for yourself in the Check-In Functions table - Search for contact field
- If you are not already a contact, click to add a new contact and enter your information
- If you are already a contact, click on your last name
- Click on the
- Enter your credit card information and click
- Once you have successfully stored your credit card, you need to run a $1 test transaction
- Go back to the AuctionDay page and enter your bidder number or last name in the "Bidder number or name" field in
- Click the
- Select the "Previously Authorized Card..." radio button option
- Enter $1 in the "Additional Donation" field
- Click the
The invoice should process and you should be presented with a Payment Record for the $1 donation. Assuming all this works, you have verified that you can store credit cards
and then process charges on the stored cards. This completely validates your merchant account and the interaction between Silent Auction Pro and PayPal.